Friday, February 23, 2007

Carnivalito, Carnavalo!

So Carnaval just ended, which is this big celebration before Lent starts. It was so much fun! Except they get so excited for it, that they start the celebrations about a month before hand... well at least the throwing water and shaving cream on people parts. No one can really give me an explanation for what exactly it is or why, but they basically just have huge water fights with water and eggs and shaving cream and barley and salt and whatever they can find. And spray people walking by in the street with water and foam. After about a month, I was pretty happy for that part to be over though. Especially, being an American girl, I think we get attacked with it worse. But all of Quito also clears out for Carnaval and goes to the beach for the 4 day vacation, so we all took off to a beach called Atacames in the province of Esmeraldas for break. It was so much fun, so beautiful, and interesting because its the area where the large Afro'Ecuadorian population is, so it was kind of a different culture there. It was a touristy area, but it was Ecuadorian tourists - I really didn{t see other Americans there, so for better or worse, we got a whole lot of attention being there. We played volleyball on the beach, and went tubing, and swimming and it was such a wonderful vacation.

Then Ash Wednesday was Wednesday, and thats a huge deal here. So I went to Mass with my family and got the cross put on my head and the whole deal. I think the thing that struck me most was really how similar the whole thing was to Rosh Hashonah and Yom Kippur, the Jewish New Year - the stories and history are different obviously, but the message and point of the holiday was exactly the same: repent, cleanse yourself for a new year, focus on being a better person, etc...

I started volunteering at a daycare for low-income children, usually with single mothers so they have nowhere else to go. Its right here in Cumbaya, a couple blocks from my house, so really convenient. And I love playing with the kids, it was so much fun. And they really need the attention so badly. And on Monday I'm going to start helping to teach English classes at a local school in the mornings. I{m really excited about that. I also joined a volleyball team, theres kind of like a league that plays at school. Everyone on my team is Ecuadorian, so its been a fun way to meet some people.

Staying here in Quito this weekend, so it should be a more relaxing weekend with the family and friends!

No comments: